Congrats on being ready to sell your home! This is an exciting time, but there’s a lot to think about. In this guide you’ll learn how to decide what to sell it for, how the process works, and more.
Find a good agent
What qualities should you look for in a real estate agent? The first thing to consider is whether or not they are licensed by their state; this means they have met certain education requirements and passed both practical exams as well as background checks. They also must have had no disciplinary actions taken against them within the past few years (you can check here). This doesn’t mean they won’t make mistakes or be dishonest—it just means there’s less chance of it happening than if they were unlicensed or had issues from previous work experiences.
Set your price
Homeowners who have had their home on the market for more than six months need to consider pricing it appropriately. Pricing your home at the right price will help you sell it faster, while pricing your home too high can turn off potential buyers.
To get an idea of what other homes in your area have sold for recently, check out Zillow and Trulia’s sales data—but be careful: The information may not be entirely accurate or up-to-date (and remember that these websites are only as good as the information provided by users). Some real estate agents also offer a free report called “Comparative Market Analysis” that compares recent sale prices of similar homes in your neighborhood. You can order this report from any licensed real estate agent or broker.
Declutter your home
Sellers who have a clean and decluttered home get more offers, and often at higher prices. Here are some tips to help you clear out your space:
- Make sure all closets are empty. If you have clothes that don’t fit or no longer suit your lifestyle, consider donating them to charity or selling them online (such as on ThredUp).
- Remove any furniture that is not being used in the house, such as a bed frame in the basement or an old couch that’s too small for your current living room.
- Clean out the garage so potential buyers can imagine how much storage space they would have with those boxes gone! Be sure to include only things that are essential for everyday life—not tools and other equipment you only use occasionally.
- Clean out the basement so potential buyers can imagine how much storage space they would have with those boxes gone! Be sure to include only things that are essential for everyday life—not tools and other equipment you only use occasionally.
Lighten and brighten the rooms everywhere you can
Lighten and brightening a room is one of the easiest ways to make it feel larger. You can do this in many ways, some of which are:
- Paint your walls light colors
- Use light colored furniture, rugs and window treatments
- Install lighter-colored curtains if you have windows that need covering up
- Use light colored accessories like lamps, vases and artwork
Fix the plumbing and repair what you can of the electrical system
- Fix the plumbing and repair what you can of the electrical system.
- Clean up your yard and make sure it’s in good shape. If there’s anything you need to do to your lawn or garden that will make it look better, now is the time to do it. Also, be sure to remove any trash from around your house—this can help potential buyers feel more comfortable about buying a home in which they may have to clean some things up themselves after purchase.
- Get rid of all clutter inside your home (and garage). It may be hard for you as a homeowner with lots of stuff to part with, but empty spaces will help viewers picture their own belongings in those spaces!
Touch up the paint on any walls that have nicks or scratches in them
Touch up the paint on any walls that have nicks or scratches in them.
Make sure the paint you use matches the existing paint. Use a paintbrush, not a roller.
Use a paint that is the same type as the existing paint (i.e., oil-based vs acrylic).
The process of selling your home is quite stressful, but making sure you have it properly prepared before the market listing will give you less headache. We, at House Guys USA, would help you sell your home for cash! Call us today.